How To Link Aadhaar With PAN Before The Deadline 31 March 2021
It is compulsory to link your PAN with your Aadhaar number under the existing regulations. In addition, at the time of filing the income tax return, it is compulsory to cite your Aadhaar number along with PAN. The government declared that the timeline for linking PAN to Aadhaar will be extended by nine months, i.e. from 30 June 2020 to 31 March 2021. In case you fail to link your PAN with your Aadhaar, then as of April 1, 2021, your PAN will become inactive. In a statement dated February 13, 2020, the government addressed that if one links his or her PAN with Aadhaar after the timeline of March 31, 2021, then the PAN will become operational from the date of Aadhaar number acknowledgement. It has also been mandatory from April 1, 2019 to cite and link the Aadhaar number while submitting income tax returns. An individual can not file his/her ITR without linking Aadhaar with PAN respectively. You can do the same if you have not linked your Aadhaar with PAN by following the process covered below.
Link Aadhaar with PAN online
By signing in to the income tax e-filing site, online linking of Aadhaar number with PAN can be completed. On the income tax portal, there are two means of doing so. Without logging into and signing in to the income tax portal respectively.
- Steps to register Aadhaar with PAN (if registered at Income tax portal)
- By entering the user ID, password and date of birth, log in to the Income Tax Department’s e-Filing portal.
- A pop-up screen will emerge after signing in to the website, urging you to link your PAN with Aadhaar.
- Head to the blue ‘Profile Settings’ tab at the top of the bar and click’ Link ‘Aadhaar’ in case you do not get the pop-up screen.
- Specifics such as name, date of birth and gender are already listed in compliance with the specifics submitted to the e-Filing portal at the time of registration.
- Now verify the details on the screen with your Aadhaar.
- Enter your Aadhaar number and Captcha code if the specifics match, and click on the ‘Link now’ icon.
- You will be alerted by a pop-up notification that your Aadhaar number has been linked successfully with your PAN card.
Steps to link Aadhaar with PAN (if not registered at Income tax portal)
- Visit www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option
- Now enter the required details such as PAN, Aadhaar Number, Your name as per Aadhaar.
- Click the ‘Submit’ button after entering the above specifics. The link will be verified by post confirmation from UIDAI.
- Select the option ‘I have only year of birth in Aadhaar card’ if you have only year of birth in your Aadhaar details.
- Now enter the correct captcha code and click on ‘Submit’
- Upon successful submission, your screen will display a message indicating that your PAN is successfully linked with Aadhaar.
Steps to link Aadhaar with PAN via SMS
By sending a short SMS, you can link your PAN and Aadhaar. By sending an SMS to either NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited or UTI Infrastructure Technology and Services Limited (UTIITSL) you can link your Aadhaar with PAN instantly. To do so type UIDPAN and send it to 567678 or 56161. SMS charges may be applicable, as imposed by the mobile operator for this.